Does this describe you?
You are the type of person who enjoys using your biological training and analytical skills to solve challenging environmental problems. You are highly motivated to work as part of a project team to guide a project through the regulatory compliance process, meet client objectives, and protect sensitive biological resources. You believe strongly in the value of preparing well thought-out, concise, and clearly written reports so that land use planners, environmental regulators, and other decision-makers have technically accurate, objective, and reliable information to support their decisions.
Would you enjoy this?
If you worked at Ascent Environmental, this week you might:
- Conduct focused surveys for rare plants with a team of botanists in forested habitats as part of the compliance requirements for a fuel reduction project
- Conduct a reconnaissance-level survey of existing biological conditions for an infrastructure project to identify sensitive habitats or habitats for rare, threatened, or endangered species
- Collect field data using Collector and Survey 123 for ArcGIS with a wetland ecologist to support preparation of an aquatic resource delineation
- Author a biological resource section of a CEQA document, evaluating potential environmental impacts and developing mitigation measures
- Participate in a kick-off meeting with other environmental professionals for a complex and challenging project that may affect multiple environmental resource areas
- Discuss with a project manager how a proposed project activity may affect a sensitive species or wetland, providing an objective analysis of potential impacts and identifying ways the impacts could be avoided or minimized
- Work within an agreed timeframe and budget to identify biological constraints to a project
- Contribute to project success by providing excellent service and high-quality technical information to clients
Here are some other things you may do:
- Travel to a project site to monitor compliance with environmental protection measures
- Participate an in-house training session about a current natural resource science topic, court case, or regulatory change
- Enjoy your colleagues’ quick wit, good humor, and lively discussions
If so, then here is a bit more about our open position for a Botanist/Biologist:
We are looking for someone who has strong plant identification skills and the ability to conduct field surveys. We are seeking a candidate who also enjoys preparing reports to concisely describe biological conditions and to clearly articulate technical conclusions using supporting evidence. A BS or MS in Biology, Ecology, or a related field and a minimum of 2-3 years of relevant experience are required. Mandatory skills include extensive knowledge of California habitats and plant/animal species. The candidate will be working on interesting and complex projects located throughout California and Nevada, especially in the Sierra Nevada, foothills, and central valley. Must be willing to travel for field work and be away for several days at a time.
Ascent offers a supportive, fun, and intellectually challenging workplace environment with excellent benefits. We invest in our employees’ careers and welfare and strive to provide high-quality outcomes for our clients. We offer flexible hours, collegial teamwork, participation on important and challenging projects, opportunities to contribute to and join in service events for our local communities, and regular performance recognition.
Please e-mail a letter of interest and your resume to: email@example.com
Ascent provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.