Ascent is currently seeking On-Call (Temporary) Fisheries and Aquatic Biologists/Technicians to be based out of our offices in Oakland or Sacramento. The position will involve fisheries entrainment and water quality monitoring of hydraulic dredging operations in the Sacramento River and San Joaquin River. Work will be labor intensive at times, requiring long periods of standing and observing dredged material for fish and invertebrates. Work assignments include working up to 25-40 hours a week depending on availability. Willingness to work nightshifts is required.
About On-Call Employment with Ascent
Given the seasonal or project-specific nature of our environmental work, Ascent hires environmental professionals on an on-call, variable part-time basis. Those who excel could be offered full time employment, but such an offer is not guaranteed. On-call employees are scheduled for work hours as they become available (we strive to provide ample notice, usually a few weeks ahead of time), and each on-call employee can accept or refuse the hours assigned to them in a given week. On-call employees may work on concurrent projects outside of their assignment with Ascent as long as outside work does not create a conflict of interest with work conducted for Ascent.
Basic Qualifications for Field and Lab Positions
- B.S. in Biology, or 1 year of field experience
- Experience conducting fieldwork, and ability to work outdoor shifts on an ongoing basis time with long hours on the field site
- Strong oral and written communication skills and ability to prepare field data forms
- Field identification of the common delta fish species of the Sacramento/San Joaquin Delta
- Experience with sampling and water quality monitoring equipment highly desired
- Ability to swim 50 yards without assistance
- Must have valid driver’s license and successfully pass a Motor Vehicle Records (MVR) check.
Please e-mail a letter of interest and your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ascent provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.