Does this describe you?
You have been working on community design projects for both the public and private sector in Southern California and have achieved great success! As a student of both design and planning, you have often gravitated to understanding the larger context and want to solve the complex issues that others shy away from – you are visionary, practical, and enjoy working with other disciplines. The types of projects that excite you are urban revitalization, transit-oriented planning, suburban town center placemaking, academic and corporate campus master planning, and public realm design. As a known leader in the field of urban design and planning, you have a reputation that is built on solid client references and repeat work, and the ability to inspire vision and excitement in project interviews. You are a risk taker, and not afraid to build new work in the urban design practice and collaborate with others in the company who work on sustainability, climate change, policy planning, natural resources, and environmental planning projects.
Here's what you would do:
Ascent is seeking to fill this position in our San Diego office. In a typical week as an Ascent Senior Urban Designer, you might:
- Prepare conceptual layouts for a client demonstrating potential options for a mixed-use project
- Collaborate with other designers in Northern California on projects Coordinate closely with your project managers, and help them keep the project well organized and moving forward
- Attend a local conference and present a topic of interest
- Work with environmental planners to define a design solution to protect sensitive resources
- Prepare a proposal or attend an interview for a public agency on a Specific Plan or Area Plan
- Lead a three-day charette with a developer attempting an urban revitalization project
- Receive training and support to advance your urban design career
- Provide mentoring to an early-career urban designer
- Enjoy social and community service events, and the camaraderie of being an Ascentian
If you're interested, here's a bit more:
We are seeking a candidate with 10 or more years of experience in the field of urban design and has either a degree in architecture or landscape architecture, coupled with a degree in planning or can demonstrate a work history that includes planning knowledge as practiced in the State of California. Professional qualifications include design skills such as the ability to communicate ideas simply on trace paper, as well as the latest computer software programs that convey both 2D and 3D outputs, writing and analytical skills, document production software skills, and engaging interpersonal skills. Ability to pursue and win new work and build client relationships is essential.
Ascent offers a supportive, fun, and intellectually challenging workplace environment with excellent benefits. We invest in our employees’ careers and welfare and strive to provide high-quality outcomes for our clients. We offer flexible hours, collegial teamwork, participation on important and challenging projects, opportunities to contribute to and join in service events for our local communities, and regular performance recognition.
Please e-mail a letter of interest and your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org